As promised here is my baking blog post! This cake is a three tier vanilla sponge cake, with a cream and jam filling, topped with cream rosettes, strawberries and icing sugar! I recently baked this cake for a family celebration, and it turned out really well!
For the sponge I used a Mary Berry recipe. It was light, fluffy, moist and delicious! I multiplied the ingredients by 1.5 to get enough for three tiers. This cake serves about 8-12 people, depending on the size of the slices cut. Unfortunately, the only picture I have is from after taking this cake in the car, which, considering its height, was quite difficult!
Without further delay, here is the recipe!
For the Cake:
- 6 eggs
- 12oz caster sugar
- 12oz self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 12oz butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 120ml whipping cream
- Raspberry jam (quantity depends on personal preference)
For the Decorations:
- 4 strawberries, halved
- Whipped cream
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan and line three 20cm/8inch cake tins with baking parchment.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the flour, eggs, baking powder and vanilla and beat again briefly till combined.
- Divide the mixture between the three tins and smooth it over – bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Once baked, leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then remove and leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Stack the layers following this order; cake, jam, cream, cake, jam, cream, cake. Set about an eighth of the cream aside to pipe with later on. I suggest spreading jam on all the cakes first, and then stacking, so you don’t have to press down on the cake.
- Pipe 8 rosettes of cream onto the top of the cake, and add half a strawberry to each rosette. Dust with icing sugar