Okay, so last year was the first year that I got into planting seeds and gardening and all that jazz. I started with Cosmos, I had read that they were ‘unkillable’ ( I guess I’m the exception). I probably started around this time or maybe a little later into April, but I planted hundreds of those banana shaped Cosmos seeds. I mean HUNDREDS. The outcome was so worth it. I had tons and tons of tall, strong, colourful Cosmos, and getting them to that stage took little or no effort. (see picture above)
This year however…
I started planting probably a little earlier than last year, mid-to-end of March. Of the Cosmos seeds I planted, not too many shoots came up. Although, when I had a closer look, I realised something or someone or somewhat, ATE MY COSMOS. I will try to insert a picture somewhere along the way, but for now you’ll have to try to make sense of my terrible description.
When Cosmos shoots come up, they, from the very beginning, have 2 leaves. Then another bit of stem grows from the centre of those two leaves into another two leaves, and so on so forth. Like this…
When I planted the seeds at first, I didn’t sprinkle any slug repellant pellets on them. I also didn’t see any slug trails, but the work looks like that of a snail or slug.
I tried to fix it, by covering the surface in more soil and slug repellant, so that way I will know if the sticks will continue to grow. I haven’t really established the culprit, but the case is not yet closed. I’ll keep you posted 😉
Bye… for now
Investigator Diy Dear xoxo